True Candence (TC)
What We Believe In
M.U.S.I.C is embedded in our values and ethos. We believe in:
- Motivation – We believe in motivating and uplifting others by sharing our own success and helping them to overcome setbacks and fear through strength and courage. We believe that the time for waiting and permission is over and that it’s time to instead, start pursuing greatness. It’s time to stop asking for permission and start achieving greatness.
- Uniqueness – We understand the power of confidence and use our unique experiences and perspectives to inspire and empower others to follow their dreams.
- Self-expression – We’ve all experienced the limitations of conformity and destructive patterns of behaviour. By embracing self-expression as a therapeutic tool, we empower ourselves and each other to connect, navigate, and grow in meaningful ways.
- Inclusivity – Our inclusivity is unwavering, and we not only recognise the value of diversity but embrace it with open arms. We believe that everyone deserves to have the right opportunities to succeed, regardless of their background or circumstances. We reject the idea of privileges based on power and dominance and instead strive to create a level playing field for all, in everything we do.
- Community – Music is a universal language that brings us together as a community, and we embrace this sense of connectedness with one another. We believe in finding strength in others and working together to achieve common goals for the benefit of the community as a whole. We believe that by coming together through communities that together, we can accomplish great things and make a positive impact globally through small and measurable changes on a local level.
Our Mission is to unearth the hidden talents of young people in our under-resourced communities through music education.
Established as a Community Interest Company in August 2020, True Cadence (TC) is a music business social enterprise based in East London with our organisational heart in Barking & Dagenham. We provide support, structured learning, mentoring and tailored artistic development to 8-25-year-olds from under-resourced communities. Our beneficiaries build skills, grow in confidence, and lessen risk-taking behaviours while realising their potential and becoming music ‘industry-ready’.
Our Vision is for every young person to express themselves creatively and have the opportunity to make it in the music industry.
About The Founder
Emmanuel C Ebokosia, better known as Manny, is an award-winning social entrepreneur and the Founder of True Cadence. Like many of our beneficiaries, Manny faced multiple intersecting barriers growing up in our under-resourced community.
TC was inspired by his lived experience as a young creative and powered by his vision to provide young people with opportunities that he was previously locked out of.
In addition to running the organisation, he is a mentor, facilitator and Youth Mental Health first-aider. He was also a regional finalist in the 2021 Great British Entrepreneur Awards, and was awarded the Positive Impact Award by the EY Foundation.
Manny holds a BA in Human Resources Management from the University of Hertfordshire, and a Master’s Degree in Music Industry Management & Artist Development from the University of West London (UWL). There, he received a leadership award for his contribution to the London College of Music. UWL also recently awarded him the 2023 Alumni Recent Graduate Award for his contribution to music, youth work and social entrepreneurship since leaving the university in 2020.
Aside from his academic achievements, Manny has over a decade of experience in the music industry as a recording artist, songwriter and performer. Manny aims to unify local communities through music, creating a culture whereby young people can express themselves creatively without fear of judgement.
What makes us unique?
True Cadence is a community-based platform where young people can learn, experience, and express their voices without the fear of judgment or failure. It’s the burning desire in us and dedication that keeps us awake, co-designing, and carving our way into making sure that somebody else somewhere doesn’t have to undergo what we went through.
We are lived-experienced leaders with an in-depth understanding of the intersecting barriers faced by our young people, like being under-resourced, self-doubt, and fear of judgment that holds them back in expressing who they truly are.
True Cadence provides “A Platform For Artistic Expression” and our entire team are “Powered By Lived Experience” #PBLE.
Awards and recognition
- EY Foundation’s Positive Impact Award 2022
- Youth Music’s Inspirational Music Leader Award (Finalists) 2022
- Great British Entrepreneur Awards (Finalists) 2021
- London College of Music (LCM) Course Rep of The Year Leadership Award 2020